Thursday, January 26, 2006

The enemy of my enemy is my what?

Maybe the equation for Sun Tzu and von Clausewitz worked like this: the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Certainly that's how the Irish read it. They read it that way in 1798 (it didn't quite work out). They read it that way in 1848 (it didn't work). And they read it that way in 1916 (didn't work out then either).

But I'll be damned if it didn't pan out this time.

Byline: Tehran, Iran.
Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr announced that his Mahdi Army is ready to come to Iran's aid if attacked.

How about that? We got Iraq and Iran to stand shoulder to shoulder, united, against a common enemy. That the common enemy is us we won't dwell on.

Iran and Iraq, as well as several other nations, are somewhat perturbed by Israel's saber-rattling. Naturally, the United States has not been remiss in antagonizing its erstwhile allies - the United Kingdom and Israel. Washington is ticked off at London for slipping that we wanted to bomb Al-Jeezera to kingdom come because we didn't like their reporting. Israel is mad at us for not muzzling Pat Robertson and his "I've come down from the mount and God told me he's mad at Ariel Sharon and that's why God smote Ariel."

The rest of the world is busy setting up one colossal entente, and keeping us out of it.

1 comment:

JulieD said...

The friend of my enemy is my lover on Tuesdays.