Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Neurotic, or Type A - or something else altogether

As I patiently wait here for the company's internal website to come up so I can provide Wider Feedback to three lucky people (part of our excrutiatingly long annual review process - and you thought your job sucked) I start to ponder a jab made by a colleague a couple of months ago that I'm a Type A personality.

The mere fact I'm still harping on this worries me that I am indeed a Type A. Then I wonder, what exactly is Type A? I'll cop to neurotic, and yea a hypochrondriac, but Type A? That can't be.


So my first Google search leads me to "Neurosis and Psychosis: Are They Really The Same?"


Good lord - now I have PSYCHOSIS in this bag of worry?

[Ed. note: If you're keeping score, the company site is still loading. We're going on 6 minutes now.]


From the above article:

"People who suffer from neurosis exhibit an excessive reaction to what others would deem minor stresses. This means that a neurotic individual worries over things that are of little importance or substance."


Well, that seems to fit.


Wikepedia has this about Type A:


Symptoms of Type A Behavior

  1. An intrinsic insecurity or insufficient level of self-esteem, which is considered to be the root cause of the syndrome. This is believed to be covert and therefore less observable.

  2. Time urgency and impatience, which causes irritation and exasperation.

  3. Free floating hostility, which can be triggered by even minor incidents.

Well, this is perturbing. But if Type A means free-floating hostility then I can reconcile myself to that diagnosis as well.


[Ed. note: Still keeping score? Company site is still loading. We're going on 9 minutes now.]


I think I'll pick a fight with some clown who boards at Randolph, puts their bag on the aisle seat and fakes sleep. I was ready to punch some Hyde Park chick on yesterday's 5:18pm for that very thing. Today I'll let the free-floating hostility take over.


[P.S. Still keeping score? Company site is
STILL loading. We're going on 11 minutes now. That free-floating hostility should be taking over any time now.]


1 comment:

The Arthurian said...

"Symptoms of Type A Behavior
1. An intrinsic insecurity or insufficient level of self-esteem..."

I don't know about you, but I am more distressed by people with excessive self-esteem, most often undeserved.

Good post.