Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I was a spy for the government because I think out-of-the-box

This combo of NY Daily News article and comments is pure comedy.

Author Brad Meltzer was recruited in government agency, 'horrified' at how easy it is to attack U.S.
I was a real-life secret agent. [I]n 2004 I was recruited by the Department of Homeland Security for its Red Cell program.
Red Cell was the government's way of trying to anticipate how terrorists would next attack the United States. To do that, the government brought together what they called "out-of-the-box thinkers."
I'm not allowed to tell you what the targets were. Or where they were. But I can say that we'd destroy major cities like my hometown, New York. In minutes. And when I went home at night, I felt horrified, because I saw how easy it was to kill us.
Sure, there were "real" heroes, members of the FBI and CIA, who helped us with vital facts. But there were far more professors and transportation employees, musicians and software programmers - regular people whose names will never be known and whom you'll never hear about.
And now for some comments:

Lenscap comment: psy-op

Dick Myers comment: Unknown to Brad Meltzer, I am the secret spy coordinator he has been reporting to. FYI, your "Decoded" series is boring.

Factchkr comment: This is a remarkably fact-free piece of writing.

realistic22 comment: Doesn't sound like you were a secret agent. It sounds like you were a bureaucrat.

And so many more good ones.

No comments: