Thursday, January 23, 2014

Found my Mark Twain-on-a-globe cartoon at last

I've been searching lo these many years for an image of Mark Twain astride a globe.  I had been searching for Benevolent Assimilation Society, thinking it was a Mark Twain irony on the imperial ambitions of the United States.

Ho, was I wrong!  The US actually used the term "benevolent assimilation" describing their conquest of the Philippines.  Searching on something related, which I've already forgotten, I found the image.  Huzzah!  Mark Twain was a member of the Anti-Imperialist League, and that's the inspiration of the cartoon.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To see two recently discovered photographs of Samuel Clemens, age around 26, visit www.kaplancollection.com.

Tundra Kat said...

Thanks - those daguerreotypes/ambrotypes are awesome!

And I learned two new words: the aforementioned ambrotype and glabellar.